ADHD and Depression in College Students
College students with ADHD tend to experience anxiety and depression more than other students. The stress of academic demands and the campus environment can lead to a higher occurrence of depression among ADHD students.
Depressed ADHD college students can even have suicidal thoughts or resort to addictive substances to temporarily relieve depression. Depression can be a result of ADHD symptoms or a co-existing condition. One of the best preventative measures is to establish a strong support system made up of the student’s parents, friends, therapists, and teachers. cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness techniques often can relieve depression in ADHD students.
Continue reading below:
- Dropping out of College Because of ADHD
- Depression in College Students with ADHD
- Depression in College Students with ADHD and Other Hidden Disabilities
- What percentage of ADHD students graduate college
- How to treat ADHD students with depression and anxiety?