The most frequently prescribed ADHD drugs are stimulants. If the patient experiences side effects or if the stimulant medication is not working for them then a doctor may prescribe non-stimulant medication.
Different Type of ADHD Medication
ADHD medication can be short-acting immediate-release or long-acting extended-release. Immediate-release ADHD medication lasts for about 4 hours and is retaken when needed. Extended-release ADHD medication is taken in the morning and the effects last throughout the day. ADHD medication most commonly is administered as a pill (tablet) or capsule but you can also get ADHD medication in the form of a liquid or skin patch.
Read in this guide:
- List of ADHD Medication for Children
- List of ADHD Medication for Adults
- Common ADHD Medication for Adults
- Common ADHD Medication Side-effects
- ADHD Sleep Medication Melatonin
- What is the most effective ADHD medication for adults?